A Little Autumn Dessert October 20 2015, 0 Comments
Now, we know everything is over-saturated with pumpkin flavor this time of year, but this Pumpkin Pie with Oreo Crust via Something Swanky just looked too good to pass up. Not only are the colors perfect for October, but the flavor combination of deep, dark chocolate and pumpkin pie just sounds divine. From the New York Times, you know this is going to be a winner. Enjoy!
- 24 Oreos
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups milk or cream (I used Pumpkin Spice Creamer! Yum!)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place the Oreos in a gallon sized ziptop bag. Press all the air out of the bag and seal it well. Use a rolling pin to crush the cookies until all large chunks are gone. Open the bag and pour in the melted butter. Seal the bag and "smush" the butter and the Oreos together until well incorporated.
- Press the Oreo crumbs into a 9-inch pie dish. It's ok if the crust doesn't come all the way up the sides.
- Whisk together all of the pumpkin pie filling ingredients until smooth, and pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 450º for 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 400º and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and crack the oven door, and let the pie cool in the oven. Chill until serving.
It's ideal to have the pumpkin filling cover the pie crust completely so that no pie crust is hanging out above the pie. The top of my crust burnt ever-so-slightly (really, it wasn't actually that bad) because of the sugar in the Oreos. But all of the crust that was covered by the pumpkin pie was perfectly fine.